Real Time tracking of Cat related Online Activity
oCat continuously monitors cat related online activity. Using Google’s YouTube API, a server collects data concerning popular and new cat videos. A device, the oCat News Distractor, a Twitter bot, Kitty o’Cat (@ocatkitty), and a website, ocat.co, use this data to generate a data visualization and tweets and to display videos. The aim of the project is to both increase and reveal the amount of time people spend on watching cat videos.
The oCat News Distractor visualizes the amount of new cat video views. It monitors the 25 most popular cat videos, counts their views and stamps a paw print on a timeline every 1000 new video views. The timeline consists of current news collected from various RSS feeds. Every minute a thermal printer prints a new section containing a timestamp, source and headline. An LCD-screen on the device displays the current number of views the 25 most popular cat videos have collected since midnight.
You can also find this project on: and digitalmedia-bremen.de.
Category: Media Art / Data Visualization / Programmming
Context: Design Pop seminar HfK Bremen (Prof. Dennis Paul)
- Simulacrum at Gallerie Flut Bremen (2016)
- Hochschultage HfK Bremen (2017)
- European Media Art Festival (EMAF) No 30: Push, Media Campus INIT, Osnabrück (2017)
- Designboom.com (2016)
- Designboom.cn (2016)
- HfK-Bremen.de (2017)
- Catalogue of EMAF No 30: Push (2017)
- NOZ.de, "Winkekatze und Weltpolitik" (2017)
- Neue Osnabrücker Zeitung, "Studentischer Blick auf die Datenflut", (50(99)/2017-04-28)
- Make: (online) (2017)
- Make:Magazin, "Was uns inspiriert", (3/2017, p.70)